Feeling jumpy ever since that accident? Easily triggered into rage, fear or panic? Come from a family or household of chronic stress where it was hard to feel safe or find a place to relax?
SOMATIC EXPERIENCING® (SE) psychobiological trauma resolution
"SE" is a potent method for resolving trauma symptoms and relieving chronic stress. It is the life’s work of Dr. Peter A. Levine, resulting from his multidisciplinary study of stress physiology, psychology, ethology, biology, neuroscience, indigenous healing practices, and medical biophysics, together with over 45 years of successful clinical application. The SE approach releases traumatic shock, which is key to transforming PTSD or the wounds of emotional or early developmental attachment trauma.
It has been recognized that it does not take a life-threatening incident to create nervous system dysregulation and SE offers a way to establish balance again. The SE approach offers a framework to assess where a person is “stuck” in the fight, flight or freeze responses and provides clinical tools to resolve these fixated physiological states and establish proper nervous system function. It has been incorporated into a variety of healing professions including mental health, medicine, physical and occupational therapies, bodywork, addiction treatment, first response, education, and others.
HOW THE "SE" APPROACH WORKS
- The SE Approach facilitates the completion of self-protective motor responses and the release of thwarted survival energy bound in the body, thus addressing the root cause of trauma symptoms. This is approached by gently guiding clients to develop increasing tolerance for difficult bodily sensations and suppressed emotions.
- SE trauma resolution does not require the traumatized person to re-tell or re-live the traumatic event. Instead, it offers the opportunity to engage, complete, and resolve—in a slow and supported way—the body’s instinctual fight, flight and freeze responses.
- Individuals locked in anxiety or rage then relax into a growing sense of peace and safety.
- Those stuck in depression gradually find their feelings of hopelessness and numbness transformed into empowerment, triumph, and mastery.
- SE trauma resolution catalyzes corrective bodily experiences that contradict those of fear and helplessness. This resets the nervous system, restores inner balance, enhances resilience to stress, and increases vitality, equanimity, and capacity to actively engage in life.
- Eliza's style of offering somatic experiencing is more specifically called Organic Intelligence, developed by Steven Hoskinson, who studied with Peter Levine for over 25 years.
- Organic Intelligence (OI) is a theory and clinical practice of human empowerment, resiliency, mindfulness and compassion to resolve the devastating effects of stress, trauma, and PTSD. It breaks new ground in positive psychology, clinical training, professional expertise, and personal development. OI brings a necessary shift in perspective from pathology and trauma to the proven methods drawn from the science of self-organization. It teaches how healing happens from the nervous system up and makes it possible to imagine freedom from suffering. Freedom from suffering becomes freedom for living an authentic, vibrant life in the here-and-now.